Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Finding Balance Between Work and School

Should high school students have jobs to earn money for college, a car, etc., or should they only focus on school work during their high school years?  This is a question I have heard many students considering over the years, and an article from The College Board discussing this idea might be useful to any students who are either considering or have a part-time job.

I did have a part-time job in high school working for an appliance repairman who was my neighbor, and I learned some useful skills which have allowed me to fix my dryer and other appliances over the years.  Thankfully, my neighbor was very flexible with my hours, so I didn't work as much during the school year as I did during the summer.  This made it much easier to balance my school work with my job, but that is a luxury I know few students have today since many of them are working for large corporations like McDonalds and American Eagle. 

Ultimately, I encourage you to read the article and consider some of the points it is making to ensure your experience with a part-time job is as positive as it can be.

7 comments:

  1. I have a part time job and it is tough but I was taught to get things you want you have to earn it and thats what im doing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't currently have a job, due to playing sports all year round and not having any time. But I definitely plan on having a job someday, and having to balance my job around other things will be appropriate when the time comes! But I think balancing a job with school is a good life lesson, almost like you said in the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a job currently, but I would like to get a job sometime in high school so I can make so money to go out. It will be hard to balance school and sports and a job. You would really need to get you priorities done and you wouldn't have much of a social life. But balancing everything is a good way to prepare you for life on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a job currently and it is sometimes tough juggling that and school work. When a sport season comes around it gets much harder. A lot of late nights come with having a job and being a student athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a good idea to have a part time job in high school. As of now i do not have a job because dance and cheer make up my whole week. But I think it would be a little tough to have a part time job and school work. But to me school always comes first. I do not want to have to have school and then work and come home late and be to tired for homework. I think it would be a good idea to have a part time job in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a job, which I quit sports for, I was raised to grow up earlier. I thought a job was more important, that and school. It can get very difficult sometimes because on weekends I work the entire time. I try to make time to do my homework which is difficult, because I don't get off work till late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a part time job and for the most part, I believe it is a very good experience for me. It teaches me to take more responsibility and initiative with my time. Not only that but it teaches me to handle things in the real world by myself or with support from my parents rather than having my parents take care of it for me. I do admit that it can get stressful at times due to a heavy schedule or minimal sleep, but again I believe that knowing how to handle these situations at a younger age is going to be extremely helpful in the long run. There is also the upside of making money to save for or spend on whatever you need or want.

    ReplyDelete